1 liter vegetable stock or water
2 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
320 g dry lentils (brown)
1 bay leaf
125 g diced onion
120 g peeled and diced carrot
500 g diced mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp black pepper
50 g Walnuts
40 g oat flour
1 tbsp ground flax-seed
For the glaze:
35 g Almond Butter
100 g tomato paste
70 g Apricot Jam
15 g apple cider vinegar
100 ml water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a long narrow cake tin with parchment paper.
- Boil the lentils with the water and bay leaves for about 30 minutes until they soften.
- While the lentils are boiling, prepare the vegetables. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, carrots and mushrooms and let them cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, smoked paprika, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Strain the lentils.
- In a blender, beat the oats and walnuts until the walnuts are broken into very small pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix the lentils with the oats and walnuts and knead with your hands until the lentils start to break down slightly, but some still hold their shape.
- Add the flax-seed, the tomato paste and the cooked vegetables and mix well until it becomes a pliable paste.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to the lined form, pressing the surface with a spatula so that the mixture goes well everywhere.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the almond butter, tomato paste, jam, apple cider vinegar, water, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
- Heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is well incorporated and slightly thickened.
- Once complete, spread the glaze over the entire surface of the roll.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the pan, 10-20 minutes, before slicing to hold its shape.
- Wild Souls x @konasfoodcreations